Monday, January 26, 2009

Knitting Gloves

Inspiration struck this morning when I awoke. I thought of a way to knit gloves from the fingertips down on my adjustable loom without having to remove the stitches from the loom.
Photobucket

Let me explain. Here is the loom open as normal.
Photobucket

I closed off the pegs where the finger holes would be using a small rubberband with a spacer bead on it for each side of the fingers.
Photobucket

I knitted the fingers with separate yarn until the finger was the desired length. Slipped the stitches off of the inside pegs and placed them on the pegs on each side of them. Then, I removed the rubberbands I used to close the loom and replace the stiches Finally, I just knit around the entire loom like normal.

Please forgive the two different colored yarns, only two fingers and the fact I didn't tie anything off. The only real problem I'm facing is the hole between the fingers. I've been informed that this is nornal for knitted gloves, but I could probably close the hole by sewing it shut with the tail from each finger.
Photobucket
Photobucket

To make the rest of the glove would be indentical to the above. The thumb could also possibly be done the same way by leaving space on the loom for it and starting it further down.

If anyone has any suggestions to fix the holes between the fingers, I'm all ears.

3 comments:

  1. You are so talented!!!! My goodness, I would have never thought of it and it works great. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY COOL!!!! I am a tiny bit of a knitting snob and wondered if I would ever see anything awesome off of a knitting loom and you have put me in my place!I love the peace fingers! As for the holes, when I am working gloves on needles, I embrace the holes and sew them closed in the finishing. A chick who frequents the store that I work at made over a dozen pairs as Xmas gifts this last season and she does the same and is far more meticulous than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Maria and anneland22. Hippies need glove too, right? Hehe :) Then again, they would probably macrame them, huh? Just kidding. :)

    This techniques might also work on some adjustable knitting boards out there. Has anyone tried it?

    I've GOT to get a (whole) pair of gloves finished soon! I keep telling myself this. Now that warmer weather is here, it's difficult to get in the mood for it. I've been too involved in my tabistry projects. Shame on me! Bad girl! :)

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin